Silver Mountain City

A group of Norwegian miners discovered rich silver ore on Silver Creek in 1861, and soon a camp called Köngsberg or Konigsberg emerged. Within a year or two, the population soared to 1000, and in 1864 the town became the seat of newly formed Alpine County. By 1865, Konigsberg was renamed Silver Mountain or Silver Mountain City, and the population continued to climb to around 3000 with an assortment of businesses. Two smelters were built to process ore, which began to dwindle in 1868. Silver Mountain City began a steady decline, as miners moved on to Monitor and Bodie. In 1875, the county seat moved to Markleeville, as did many of the town's buildings (including the Fisk Hotel, which still stands). In 1882, fire decimated much of what was left, and Silver Mountain City was finally abandoned.

Bibliography