Altaville - known variously as Cherokee Flat, Forks in the Road, and Winterton - developed in 1852 along Cherokee Creek. In 1854 D.D. Demarest established the Altaville Foundry, which manufactured much of the mining equipment found throughout the Mother Lode (the company has been known as California Electric Steel since 1934, and is now the longest running foundry west of the Mississippi River). Though gold played out quickly, the foundry and a number of mills built there to treat ore from nearby Angels Camp allowed the town to survive. By the 1880s, Altaville had stores and saloons, a schoolhouse, fairgrounds, and a number of other businesses.

In 1912, Altaville was annexed by nearby Angels Camp. Only a few remnants of the old town remain among modern developments, including the 1852 Prince & Garibaldi Store and the 1858 Altaville Grammar School - one of the oldest grammar schools in California (though it was moved to a new location in 1983 after decades of neglect).

See Also
Angels Camp