Meloland started as a flag station on the Holton Interurban Railway at what was formerly called Gleason Switch, likely sometime around 1907-08 after the flooding that created the Salton Sea had been remedied. It was here that Harry Lyon planted the first vineyard in Imperial Valley. A post office operated from 1908-1911, though some activity in the small community continued thereafter. A general store was operated by James F.S. Howland from 1914 until at least 1918, and in 1912 the University of California established the Meloland Field Station (now the Desert Research and Extension Center). While the Field Station remains in operation, the only other traces of old Meloland are the old schoolhouse - now used as a private residence - and a road which bears its name.