Tom was a station on the Carson & Colorado Railroad. Around 1927, the California Quarries Corporation began producing pumice from a quarry nearby, which was use in making soaps and construction materials. There it was separated and bagged before being transported to the railroad by way of an overhead tram. After the railroad was abandoned in 1943, the pumice product was presumably trucked. In 1947, the quarry was taken over by Insulating Aggregates, Inc., who installed a 70-ton mill that year. The Company also began work on a new quarry, and operations lasted for another number of years.

Carson & Colorado Railroad
← Chalfant • Tom • Laws →