Lacoochee takes its name from a shortened version of the 'Withlacoochee' River (which in turn takes its name from the Creek word meaning "little big water"). In the late 1800s, citrus and strawberries were grown along the river and in 1888 the Florida Railway & Navigation Company opened a station there. Alas, this prosperity came to a close after the Great Freeze of 1894-95.

Lacoochee rebounded in 1922 when the Cummer Sons Cypress Company built a modern electric sawmill and box factory. Cypress, pine, and hardwood were transported to the factory by an extensive rail network. The company built houses and a company store, and the town of Lacoochee grew. Before long, Lacoochee had a fine two story hotel, four churches, and numerous business. As the mill never stopped operating, the town even fared the Great Depression.

The mill lasted until 1959, closing on June 5 of that year after timber had been depleted as far south as the Everglades. Lacoochee faded, and many of its historical buildings have disappeared. What remains of the mill is now a pipe factory, and the town's population is little more than 1000.

See Also
Moss TownTrilby