Settlers first arrived near the confluence of Hurrah Creek and the Alafia River shortly after the Civil War. A community, known as Hurrah (reportedly derived from an Indian word), developed and by 1870 had 446 residents. These residents were served by the Hurrah Baptist Church, and a school was established in October 1875. Around this time, a neighboring community called Picnic also developed; the name Picnic is thought to come from the number of political picnics and rallies that were held in the vicinity. It was at Picnic that a post office serving the communities opened in 1880. Though Hurrah and Picnic coexisted for a time, the two schools serving the communities were consolidated in 1889 and around the turn of the century the name Hurrah faded into memory.

Also around the turn of the century, F.M. Carter arrived in Picnic and established a turpentine still. Soon the F.M. Carter Company employed 300 men to extract pine tree gum from long-leaf yellow pine trees to produce turpentine and rosin. The Company also opened a general store. Unfortunately, with the closure of the Picnic Post Office in 1916 and depleting resources, production came to a close in 1920. Carter cleared much of the forest, turning trees into cross-ties and replanting about 400 acres with citrus for S.E. Thatcher of Miami. Much of the remaining land was acquired for phosphate mining, which still occurs today. The old schoolhouse that once served Picnic was moved about a half mile south of Fort Lonesome, but it disappeared sometime in 2018.