Babylon

In 1877, the Stormont Mining Company built a mill along the Virgin River to treat ore from Silver Reef. A town, called Babylon (possibly to distinguish its 'Gentile' residents from the neighboring Mormon communities) developed housing mill workers and their families, rising to a population of around fifty. In 1887, the Company announced the closure of its mill, and its dependent town soon emptied.

The site of Babylon was quiet for nearly a century when it was purchased by John Vought, an official in the U.S. State Department. John and his late wife Geraldine had planned to retire to southern Utah where Geraldine grew up, and following Geraldine's death in 1987 John proceeded with the plan. Vought hired St. George architect Mary Ann Kozlowski and spent $250,000 on construction of what he called the "Babylon House" on the site of the old Stormont Mill. Before completion, the house caught fire and was destroyed down to the foundation. Vought abandoned the project, and the foundation shell has been a playground for graffiti 'artists' since. In addition to the ruins of the Stormont Mill office and the ill-fated Babylon House, petroglyphs and even dinosaur tracks can be found nearby.

See Also
Silver Reef

Bibliography