Clay Sink

In May 1862, Harrison and Martha Ann Slaughter acquired 120 acres from Jesse Sumner and a settlement named Slaughter developed. In time, the settlement became known as 'Clay Sink' after a large clay sinkhole nearby. A cemetery was established in 1873; its first burial was an infant daughter of the Slaughters. On February 19, 1897, the Clay Sink Missionary Baptist Church was organized and in 1904 a new wood church built (used until 1956 when the current church was built). In 1912, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed and moved to its current site in 1915. The school closed in 1943, and has since been used as a fellowship hall for the church. Today, a few people still live in Clay Sink and the church continues to offer weekly service.

See Also