A lovingly restored general store on a backroad in the Withlacoochee State Forest is what remains of the community of Richloam. In 1890, John Schroeder and his John Schroeder Lumber Company relocated from Milwaukee to this part of Florida, where the town of Kalon came into being. The Company harvested pine trees for lumber and resin, and cedar trees were harvested and shipped to Cedar Key to make pencils. After timber was cleared, the Company began selling tracts of land for agricultural uses. A lodge and demonstration garden were built showing what crops could be grown in Florida, even during the cooler months. Around 1920, the name of Kalon was changed to Richloam to be more attractive to buyers. In 1921, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad moved their depot from nearby Riverland, and in 1922 the post office was relocated and renamed as well - located at the new general store operated by Sid Brinson & Elbert H. "Son" Boyett.

In 1926, 63,000 acres were sold to two men from Miami and the Richloam Land Company was formed. They planned to continue with the Schroeder Company's plans of development, but hurricane damage to their other properties caused this to stall. In 1936 both companies sold their land to the federal government, part of the creation of the Withlacoochee State Forest. The post office and store also closed that year. The store building was used as a private residence and then sat vacant for decades, until it was restored and reopened by Eric Burkes (Sid Brinson's great nephew) in 2016. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 12, 2017.

See Also
Clay Sink