Santa Ysabel

Named for Rancho Santa Ysabel on which it's located (in turn named for the Santa Ysabel Asistencia), Santa Ysabel started as a store owned by C.R. Wellington in 1878. The store soon grew to include a hotel and blacksmith shop, and Santa Ysabel became an important stop on the road between Ramona and Julian. The town eventually grew to even have a post office, livery stable and later a gas station.

The current Santa Ysabel Store was built in 1884 by John Curlee and soon purchased by pharmacist David L. Hoover. Roughly ten years later, the building gained a wooden extension that served as a feed store. Over the years, it has housed a number of businesses including grocery, dry goods and feed stores, a barbershop, western wear shop, antique stores, and has also served as a stage stop and post office. Today it is owned by the Save Our Heritage Organisation of San Diego and is the only remaining false-front building in San Diego County.