Following the discovery of the Sunbeam claim in 1869 (the first discovery in the Tintic district), the camps of Silver City and Diamond formed. Diamond's name supposedly came from an early belief that quartz crystals found there were actually the precious gemstone. A smelter was erected in 1871 to process ore from the nearby Showers mine, and in 1873 the ten-stamp Miller mill was built by the Tintic Company. Little else is recorded of Diamond's early days, but it is reported that during the 1870s the population reached 1000, with four stores, three hotels, five saloons, a post office, and churches.

When mining at Diamond reached the 300-foot level, the mines began to flood. After pumping proved too costly, mining came to a close. Most residents were gone by 1890 and most homes moved to Eureka and Mammoth, though a few residents remained until 1923 when the final home was moved to Eureka. Today, only the cemetery remains to mark the site.

Tintic Mining District
MammothSilver CityDiamond
Knight Grain Elevator